What Is The Best Pellet Smoker? (Our Ultimate Guide)
The benefit of using a pellet smoker is the control it provides over the smoke production and temperature. A pellet smoker is equipped with a range of amazing cooking features that ensure that you don’t need to tend to the smoker continuously, but can simply leave it to do its job without needing your constant monitoring and supervision.
So, you can imagine the convenience it provides while sustaining the quality of smoking required for your delicious dishes. This is a conventional type of smoker, which means you get the authentic flavor and aroma of smoked cooking with all your favorite smoked dishes – vegetarian or meat. The quality may, however, vary with the brand and product you go for, which in turn would depend on several other factors, not the least being your budget.
What Makes Pellet Smokers Different
Most people usually wonder what a pellet smoker is and what makes it different from a normal smoker. As the name suggests, a pellet smoker uses wood pellets when smoking.
Pellets come from wood shavings and sawdust, which are usually used in furnaces. Wood pellets are used in a way to create smoke. Most people actually prefer the use of wood pellets over other materials for smoking basically because it is not harmful; it is actually all-natural. No binders, petroleum, or chemicals are used. If you feel that pellet smokers are not for you, our electric smoker list will help you explore more options.
The smoking method used in a pellet smoker is indirect, since the smoking is done through an igniter rod. On switching on the smoker, the rod gets activated and starts feeding the wood pellets into the firebox of the smoker, thus triggering the smoke production.
Since the entire process is automatic, you’re not required to mess around with things like wood and charcoal, nor do you need to play around with temperature settings. This means you’re free to do a whole lot of other chores without having to constantly worry about what’s happening to your food. And what’s more, this kind of smoker doesn’t require much of maintenance, unlike the conventional charcoal or wood smokers. The charcoal smoker is also excellent from an environmental point of view since the pellets used are all made of natural material.
What is the Best Pellet Smoker?
While it makes great sense to go for a pellet smoker, it’s obvious, at the same time, that finding the ideal one for your needs may not be so easy. Here are some of the best pellet smokers for you to check out before taking a final call on which one you should opt for.
A-MAZE-N Pellet Smoker
This reasonably priced pellet smoker from A-MAZE-N is quite a deal if you’re looking for quality that doesn’t burn a hole in your pocket (and of course doesn’t burn you special dishes).
You get a lot of advantages in option for the A-Maze-in, some of which are listed below.
- It has an ideal size to make it suitable for use with virtually any grill.
- Used on 15 ounce of A-MAZE-N pellets, it produces smoke for up to 11 hours – just perfect for any kind of cooking.
- It’s sturdily built and long-lasting, thanks to its stainless steel, corrosion-resistant, manufacturing.
- It’s mobile and can easily be carried from home to camping site, which means you can have your favorite food while out enjoying the pleasures of nature.
Let’s take a look now at some of the issues you may face in using this smoker.
- The operational duration is dependent on the pellet type, the heat and the humidity, which means you may not always get an 11-hour performance.
- Getting the flame up for 10 minutes, as required by the instructions, isn’t really a breeze.
- You may find it difficult to light the smoker through the holes, since they’re not located for easy functioning.
- If you’re planning to go to the higher reaches, then you may well forget about purchasing this smoker – it doesn’t really work at very high elevation.
As long as your needs are basic and confined to your home, this is quite a good product and works well. And the really good part is that it doesn’t come for much of a price. This the best pellet smoker on our list.
Camp Chef PG24S Pellet Grill and Smoker Deluxe
Now this one is on the expensive side but then, the quality has much to boast of. As the name suggests, it’s perfect for your outdoor grilling and smoking needs.
You can be assured of a lot of good things with Camp Chef, not the least being the exotic smoked dishes you can whip up with it.
- It has an ideal built and easy-to-clean system, with which you can remove the ash quite simply and quickly.
- The digital temperature readout ensures high level of heating accuracy, and you can be comfortable in the knowledge that your dish isn’t going to remain under-done or get burnt for that matter.
- There’s an advanced digital temperature chip to provide a steady temperature and smoke, so that the cooking temperature remains under control, without wide swings to mar your cooking.
There are, of course, some issues of concern if you’re planning to go for the Camp Chef.
- Considering the price, you’ll find the smoker letting you down quite often in terms of the control panel.
- The temperature swings are very much there, despite the chip, and are quite huge ones.
- The smoker tends to leave ash all over the food.
Most of the problems are apparently the result of failure to grasp the intricacies of the functioning of this smoker. Once you’ve figured out how to operate it without getting lost in the process the Camp Chef is a handy smoker to have around. The last smoker on our best pellet smoker for the money list but worth looking at.
You may also like to check out the Pellet Pro Cold Smoker BBQ Grill Weber, Traeger, GMG 100% Made in USA Stainless, with its option to provide long and short smoking time and the ease of lighting it from any angle. The only problem with experimenting with this one is that you won’t any reviews to help you take a decision. But maybe you can be the first one to try and review it, considering that it does seem to have some interesting features.
Our electric smoker cookbooks list include recipes that require pellet smokers.
Product images sourced from